Back to Homepage
Brochure Application About China Quest Contact
Our Programs
Program Details
Program Fee
Session Dates
A Typical Day
Application Process
Language Option
Health and Safety
Rules and Regulations
Student Experiences
Photos and Video
Places to Go
Inner Mongolia
Destinations Map
About China Quest
BeiHang University



How many students participate in the program each summer?
Each session approximately 25 students participate in our program.

What are the ages of the students?
The majority of our students are high school and college students. The average age ranges from 16 to 19 years old.

I don't know any Chinese. Can I still join?
Many of our students are just learning Chinese and traveling to China for the first time. We look for students who are interested and curious about the language and culture.

What kind of food will be served?
Studying and traveling requires the best nutrition. Our food consistently is highly praised from the past participants. Breakfast is served in buffet style in the hotel dining hall while lunch and dinner are served in traditional Chinese dishes. Food preference at the university will be made by students. During weekend excursion trips, food will be served at local restaurants. Furthermore, as we travel through China, many different styles of local cuisines can be tasted.

Will I be rooming with a roommate?
Every student will be roomed with another student in double occupancy rooms. Roommates will be arranged by request first. Due to special circumstances, we can also arrange for a single occupancy room.

How safe is the program?
China is a very safe country with relative low crime rates. Beihang University’s campus can only be accessed through three 24 hour secured gates. The international dormitories and hotels at Beijing, Xi’an, Zhengzhou and Shanghai all are safeguarded by 24-hour onsite security. We advise students to explore the cities in groups and counselors will chaperone all outside campus activities.

How is the weather in China?
The summer temperature in Beijing is around 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. The weather in most parts of China is very hot and humid in July to August. For the weekend trip to Inner Mongolia, long pants and a jacket are needed, as the temperature can go down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit during the night.

Back to top

Does the program offer any travel or medical insurance?
While group travel insurance is provided in the program fee, medical insurance is not provided.  We require all student to have medical insurance while in China. If the student already has a medical insurance policy in place, please make sure the coverage is applicable in China. We can recommend an insurance provider for the student but the terms and costs of the insurance should be addressed directly to the insurance company.

How much money should I bring?
Many students buy souvenirs and gifts in China so the amount of money to bring can vary. Traveler’s checks and cash can easily be exchanged at most Chinese banks. Our program is all-inclusive meaning the students' expenses while in China will only be of personal nature.

Where can I do laundry?
Laundry service is available in the dormitories and the hotels in Beijing, Zhengzhou, Xi’an, and Shanghai. Many small dry-cleaning shops are located just walking minutes from the Beijing campus.

What should I bring to China?
We always recommend students to travel light. Daily essentials are readily available in China and can be purchased rather inexpensively at any department store. Consider that all travel luggage have to be brought from Beijing to Zhengzhou to Xian to Shanghai and back home. We will provide a packing list to students before departure.

I don't live on the east coast. How will you arrange my transportation to China?
Depending on availability, we can assist in arranging international air tickets for you. However, we suggest you to contact your travel agent first regarding airlines and ticket options before you request any bookings.

Does this program offer any high school or college credits?
We do not determine the amount of credits you will receive nor do we determine whether or not your credits will transfer. However, we will provide (upon request) an official transcript that states the name of the course, the total hours, hours attended and your letter grade. Students should visit with their home institution regarding credit quantity and transfer.

Back to top

What is the electric voltage used in China?
The voltage is 220 Volts. An electric converter is readily available at most shopping centers.

Do students have any free time in China?
Yes, each week about 6-7 hours of free time will be available to the students to relax and explore the city. Since our program is full of various activities and classes each day, students are rarely staying put.

Will we be able to access the Internet in China?
The University has its own computer center on campus and a plethora of Internet cafes surrounds the University. While in Xi’an and Shanghai the Internet access is readily available in the hotels.

How and where do I apply for a visa?
You can apply for your travel visa in one of the embassies in the US or other countries. The consulates in the US are located in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Washington DC. For your convenience we are able to help or provide the visa for you.

Do I need special shots or vaccinations?
We do not require any shots before going on the program. However, please advise the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for recommended vaccinations and preventive medications.

Back to top